Say hello to the main three layers of your skin
The basics of your largest organ
There is more to the surface of your skin than you may really know, with it being the largest organ on your body it is important to understand the three layers and how they work together. When you think about your skin, you probably didn’t realize that it has three separate layers with their own functions to protect your body from bacteria, chemicals and even the temperature. Like most of us, you probably thought the outer layer of your skin was the only “skin” to worry about since it is visible but how the outer layer of your skin functions is all determined by the health of the other two layers. It is amazing what our body and skin can protect us from, here is some facts to know about each layer and how they function to provide healthy skin!
An overview of all three layers
As the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis is your body’s first line of defense against any free radicals. The epidermis:
- Acts as a barrier against the weather, bacteria, and any harmful chemicals
- It sheds the skin and makes approximately 40,000 new skin cells almost every day.
- Its plays an important part of the body’s immune system to fight off infections
- Produces melanin, which protects your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays and also give your skin its pigment
The middle layer dermis is made up mostly of collagen and elastin fibers, which also makes up 90% of the skin thickness. The dermis:
- Is where the root of your hair follicles are attached to and grows the hair
- The sensory cells and nerves in the dermis tells you when something is too cold or too hot or too sharp or too soft!
- It carries the oil glands that keeps the skin soft and smooth. It also protects the skin from absorbing too much water.
- The dermis also holds your sweat glands that release sweat through your pores. Sweating allows you to regulate your body temperature.
- The blood vessels in the dermis provide nutrients to the epidermis, which keeps your skin healthy.
The bottom or fatty layer of your skin is so deep that active ingredients in skincare will never reach it! The hypodermis:
- The fat in the hypodermis protects bones and muscles from injury when you fall or have an accident.
- This layer contains connective tissue, the tissue that connects the layers of your skin to muscles and bones.
- It helps the nerve and blood vessels. Since it is the largest in this layer of your skin, they supply blood to the rest of your body.
- Body temperature is regulated by the hypodermis layer.
How can I protect my skin?
As we age, we lose collagen and elastin in our skin (our skins middle layer gets thinner). As a result, skin may start to develop wrinkles.
Here is how you can best essentially care for your skin:
- Sunscreen! Always apply sunscreen, every day. Choose one with at least an SPF of 30.
- Manage your stress levels. Stress ages our skin, find ways to eliminate anything that may cause your to lose it elasticity or cause you to stress. (Check out our Self-Care Candle & Self-Care Reed Diffuser that you can add to your skincare routine to be more at peace and relaxed.)
- Wear a base moisturizer under your sunscreen. Our Blass Balm is the perfect base layer for your skin. It’s all natural ingredients are safe for all skin types, just apply Blass Balm on your skin morning and night as a first line of defense and protective barrier.
- Also don't forget to moisturize the rest of your body! We recommend using our Blass Body Butters each day. The lightweight formula of our butters is a great moisturizer for daily use. Choose from our Coconut scented body butter or our Rose scented one.
- Try microcurrent therapy. Our Electric Gua Sha is the perfect beauty tool to help improve the appearance of your skin. Build collagen and give your face a fuller more youthful appearance in just a few minutes a day, a few times a week.
Now that you know that there is more to your skin than just the visible layer you will be able to make better decisions on what you use on your skin and how you care for it. That's why you can trust us Blass Babe to know that we are providing you with the safest and effective skincare and beauty tools to best cater to your skin starting now!